Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Finally!

Updated Update: Woohoo!! All the pictures are finally loading and even are clickable to see bigger versions! Finally!!! It seems I have to upload during the day for best internet signal...now I'll work on starting the next photo blog to show you what I've actually been up to instead of just photos of all these random South American apartments!
Old Update: So, the problem isn't quite solved. I should have the issue fixed and the pictures to accompany the captions tomorrow, but until then let your imaginations go wild! :)

I finally discovered a workaround to upload pictures to Blogger with a shaky internet connection, so here's a photo blog of my new apartment which I've been in since the beginning of the month.

The view from my bedroom window. I could hear this guy playing the violin ~1/2 block away even with all the street noise! It was pretty cool.

The poorly lit living room.

Seems like I'm always drying clothes when I decide to take blog pictures. I was actually wanting a picture of the grill that's in the background -- a typical wood-burning parilla. Unfortunately, when we tried to use it for the first time Saturday night it was very windy and the fire wouldn't stay lit.

Looking from the balcony down the street to the port -- see the cranes in the distance?
Looking down the street in the other direction toward the boardwalk -- we essentially live on a peninsula part of Montevideo ~6 blocks from the water (but not beaches) either way.
I had a picture of this building in an earlier post -- I find it incredibly cool and am quite pleased I have this great view of it from the balcony. It was the tallest building in the Americas when constructed.
Looking straight down from our 5th floor abode.


See the Asian alphabet on this sign? The port area is the only place in Montevideo that I've found with an Asian influence. There are lots of Asian restaurants and even a Korean karaoke place nearby, none of which I've yet had a chance to try.
These convenient little key-copy stands are everywhere. They can even copy your remotes for your cars in those little booths!
These "carritos" (literally, little cars), are on just about ever corner downtown and serve pretty decent, fast meat sandwiches -- sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

That's it for now! I'll work on uploading some pictures from the anti-mistreatment/abuse campaign the organization I work with put on last week to have up in a few days!